Brief History of Saint Hilary’s

timeline

• The idea of a new Episcopal church in Fort Myers took root in August 1958. 

• By October 16, 1958 a mission church was born and the name “St. Hilary’s” was selected. 

• By Christmas 1958 the new mission met in its first building, a Quonset hut.

• In 1965, Father Robert Browning became the fourth vicar of the mission.

• In 1968, he became the first rector, having broken ground for a new church building at the corner of Colonial and McGregor the year before. • When the sanctuary was completed in 1968, more than 500 members worshipped there.

• In 1998, after Father Browning’s retirement in 1996, Father Bob Hennagin was installed as our second rector. 

• In 2009 a major renovation of the sanctuary was completed with a celebration of the 50th anniversary of our congregation. 

• In 2012 Father Hennagin’s ministry to St. Hilary’s ended after fourteen years.

• In January 2014, Father Charles Cannon became our third rector.


Saint Hilary’s is now a vibrant parish within the Episcopal Diocese of Southwest Florida.

The parish offers leadership in the Fort Myers Deanery with members active in ministries such as: Altar Guild, Episcopal Church Women, Men’s Action Guild, Vergers Guild, Diocesan Youth Ministries, Cursillo Movement of Southwest Florida, and various Diocesan Boards and Councils.

Saint Hilary’s seeks to prepare our parishioners, whether youth or adults, for leadership in lay ministry as witnesses and servants of God rooted in scripture, theology, community service and the reflective practice of prayer.  

Our worship, ministry and community life is characterized by intentional commitment to the mission of the parish which is: “to make known the love and kindness of Jesus Christ to all people, within our congregation and in the wider community, through worship, service and compassion.”  

Currently, Saint Hilary's is experiencing growth in multiple areas. We are pleased and excited to invite others to join us in our pursuit of the parish mission: especially through our worship and ministry, Christian education and formation, and responding the Church's call to mercy, love and social justice.


5011 McGregor Blvd; Fort Myers, FL 33901

(239) 936-1000

Worship Opportunities

Thursday 10am Holy Eucharist with Unction (Healing Prayers)

Saturday Afternoon 5pm Casual Vigil Mass

Sunday 8 am Rite I Traditional Language Service with Homily

Sunday 10 am Rite II Family Friendly Holy Eucharist with Choir and Homily

(Baptisms, Confirmations, Weddings and Funerals can be arranged after speaking with the Rector)